Saturday 9 October 2010

Thanksgiving long weekend

Hello to all the followers of our blog, apologies for making Jamie do all the work on the previous posts but at last I will add something too.  All is going very well in Fort Liard, I feel very settled in my new home and everyone I have met has made me very welcome.  My main role so far has been supporting students in class with reading and maths, I have really enjoyed just being able to help out students without the usual burden of planning and assessment.  I'm sure though that by the end of the programme I will be keen to get back into the chemistry lab and have a full timetable of classes.  I've also been trying to develop my creative skills which is more of an uphill struggle!  We have been having a great time making pumpkins out of paper mache ready for halloween in the after school arts and crafts club.  I'm looking forward to making lots of christmas crafts with the students and hopefully being able to add some ideas from back home.  Last weekend a visiting artist called John Rombrough ran a workshop at the community centre, we tried out a few of his techniques but you can check out his website to see some awesome artwork.  As its thanksgiving weekend we are really looking forward to our roast turkey followed by pumpkin pie, I've always loved christmas dinner so much so why limit that to once a year.  Next weekend Jamie and I will be chaperones for a group of students at a conference in Edmonton, the bus journey is about 20 hours each way so I'm sure the next post will include all the exciting news from the big city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment